Wednesday, May 11, 2016

TAYLOR’S WORLD CLASS SCHOLARSHIP 2016



This post is just to share about my own experience going through the TWCS interviews which I hope will indirectly help others too.

So the recipient of TWCS will receive a free tuition fees for foundation as well as degree and also a 6 months internships with Taylor’s University partner company .Therefore, the whole process is definitely not easy. If you want to know more about this scholarship do check out Taylor’s University website.

First Round

Date                     : 23rd April 2016 (Saturday)
Venue                  : LT 14 at Block D, Level 1, Taylor’s University Lakeside Campus


After submitting the online application form I waited patiently for about 2 weeks and finally I got an email from Taylor’s University Bursary and Financial Aid Unit. It actually took me some time to decide if I should attend this interview because I was quite busy at that time.

Why not just give it a try? That’s what made me turned up in Taylor’s University on that day. Till today, I have not regretted the choice I made.

This is the most fun interview that I actually undergone. The first round is a group interview or maybe more to group discussion. Being a team player is really important so to excel in this interview, you need to learn to be a leader as well as a follower. You can come out with your own idea but at the same time listen to others opinion. Do not dominate the whole discussion this will not show that you are any better than the rest.

I was so lucky that I was placed in Group C which consists of 3 girls and 2 boys. Before the discussion, we were told to share something about ourselves and also our favourite TV show. Later, we were given a topic about gender equality. 
Then we were given one minute each to sum up the whole discussion. The whole discussion turned out to be a really fun and interesting one. Everyone contributed fresh ideas and thoughts which contributed to the final agreement.

When the whole interview is done, we sat together and talk about schools and futures. No one left after the interview end as we seem to share endless topics.

That day turned out to be a really memorable day for me as I had the opportunity to meet and know them especially the Penang girl, Jia Li.

It’s really important to be yourself and enjoy the whole process.



Final Round

Date                      :  10th May 2016 (Tuesday)
Time                      :  1.00pm
Venue                  :  Enrolment & Admissions Services, Taylor's University Lakeside                                       Campus (Block
A Level 1)
            

                      
After 2 weeks I received another email form Taylor’s University and I myself could not believe I ace the first interview and are shortlisted to precede to the final round!!

I was scheduled an interview with BDO Malaysia, the fifth top accounting firm after the Big Four as I applied for Economics and Finance. I was told to read up about the organization and prepare a Curriculum Vita.

It is important to do some research about the company you are applying for and remember some facts about them. For the CV, keep it simple and nice. Do not write in paragraph or make it few pages long. Just summarize up everything and make them in point form. Take some time to go through samples of CV on the internet.

I would say that this is a really good exposure for me.

When I registered, I was given a case study about virtual store which is widely available in South Korea and need to discuss about the business issue relating to it. As I am from the pure science stream, I struggle to come out with fresh points. One hour is so insufficient for me.

My interviewers are

Dato’ Wong Wing Seong, the Executive Director of BDO Malaysia

Ms Thong Siew Fong, the Director of Talent Requisition from BDO Malaysia

Mr Chua Hiang Kiat, the Deputy Dean of Taylor’s Business School

They are all ‘somebody’ and this thought doubled my nervousness.

I went into the room, greeted them and started to share my opinion about the case study.

Later I was threw questions from them and the questions are not easy. You need to take some time to come out with an impressing solutions or answers.

I would suggest that you can go through the case study in detail and if possible minimize the assumption. You need to think from different edges and cannot only focus on one side. Take your time to think and do not rush to answer the questions. The interviewer will appreciate if you take some time to think. Do not be defensive and accept others comments openly.

To sum up the whole final interview, this one is more stressful and is more difficult. You need to have certain level of knowledge to do well which I think I have not reached the standard yet. The whole interview process kept replaying in my mind and I felt really upset with certain answers of mine.

This is indeed an important experience I had gained. At least I know how I am supposed to work things out in the future.


Please share with me if you did have any interview experiences too I will be really glad to know them!!


“Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.” ― Randy Pausch

No comments:

Post a Comment